Genre

Saturday, February 4, 2012

My 45s Collection, Part Three (of Three)

***

In the first two parts of this reminiscence, I listed several different groups of my records that have been sleeping in a cabinet in our den for a couple of decades.  I have a couple of groups left to survey.
1

All right, I’ll admit it: the next stack of 45s includes some embarrassments. I just can't have collected all these myself, can I? Some may have been my wife's. Others may have been - gulp - my sister's. Well, at least this group does include some of the most familiar pop hits of the late fifties.

Tammy   by The Ames Brothers
                      with Joe Reisman’s Orchestra and Chorus

Young Love   by Tab Hunter
                                with the Billy Vaughan Orchestra

Heart of My Heart   by The Four Aces
                                                featuring Al Alberts

Speak Low (Tout Bas)   by The Blue Stars

Soft Summer Breeze   by Eddie Heywood

My Bonnie Lassie   by The Ames Brothers
                             with the Hugo Winterhalter Orchestra

I’ll Never Stop Loving You   by Doris Day
                                          with the Percy Faith Orchestra

Tonight You Belong to Me   by The Ames Brothers
                           with the Hugo Winterhalter Orchestra

Eh, Cumpari   by Julius LaRosa
                                    with the Archie Bleyer Orchestra

Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White
                                        by the Perez Prado Orchestra

It’s Not for Me to Say   by Johnny Mathis
                                      with the Ray Conniff Orchestra

If You Believe   by Johnnie Ray
                                     with the Percy Faith Orchestra

Many Times   by Bud Roman
                                   with the Lee Raymond Orchestra

Young at Heart   by Frankie Carle

The Man With the Golden Arm   by Elmer Bernstein
                                                            and his Orchestra

My Truly, Truly Fair   by Ray Anthony
                                                     and his Orchestra

Flip, Flop, and Fly   by Johnnie Ray
                                   with the Les Elgart Orchestra

Time   by the Jackie Gleason Orchestra

Manhattan Spiritual  by the Reg Owen Orchestra

The Trouble With Harry   by Alfi and Harry

Who Needs You   by The Four Lads

Play Me Hearts and Flowers   by Johnny Desmond


Most of these records don’t really seem to reflect my taste, then or now… But this is history, right?

2

I suppose those who look carefully through all the records listed so far - in Parts One, Two, and Three - could pick out a few that might be termed “Country and Western” (like Webb Pierce singing “The Honky Tonk Song” that’s in the brown box and Rusty Howard’s “Mexican Joe” in Part Two).  I did use to like listening to “Western Cavalcade” on KVET 1300 in the evening doing my Latin homework.  But by and large I didn’t actually buy Country and Western records.

I did buy four, though, which I still have but have not yet mentioned.  I am particularly proud of the last one.

Cool Water   by The Sons of the Pioneers

Shadows on the Old Bayou   by Johnny Horton
                                                          and the Texans

Red River Valley   by The Sons of the Pioneers

and

Chew Tobacco Rag   by Pee Wee King
                                   and his Golden West Cowboys.

I can remember a few others that I don’t have anymore, including three little boxed sets of 45s:  one of show tunes (I remember Howard Keel’s picture on the front), one of square-dance music (I enjoyed square dancing from elementary right through high school), and one of Roy Rogers’ biggest hits.  Also, I regret having lost one record that would have appeared among the “also-rans” above: Guy Mitchell’s “I Never Felt More Like Singin’ the Blues.”

One final note:  In all these lists, I didn’t include the B side of these records.  They all have them, or course.  Some fans might have chosen differently than I, but I chose the side I listened to most often, as far as I can remember. 

There are 160 records altogether.





***

No comments:

Post a Comment